KKR (Kolkata Knight Riders) is one of the old franchise of Indian Premier League. In the last edition of IPL they made it to the finals and lost the title to Chennai Super Kings. KKR have won the trophy in 2012 and 2014 edition.
Since the start of IPL, some of the greatest players in cricket history like Sourav Ganguly, Ricky Ponting, Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar, Chris Gayle, Brendon McCullum, Gautam Gambhir, Shane Bond and many more have been a part of the KKR team time and again.
In this article we will tell you about those 5 players whom KKR included in their squad but they never got a chance to play.
5 players who were signed by Kolkata Knight Riders but never got a chance to play
1. Anrich Nortje
- South African fast bowler Anrich Nortje is currently one of the best in world cricket. In IPL he is an important part of Delhi Capitals.
- But earlier, in 2019 IPL auction he was signed by Kolkata Knight Riders for 20Lakh INR.
- Just after the auction he suffered a shoulder injury and was ruled out for the entire season. KKR replaced him by Mat Kelly.
2. Yasir Arafat
- Pakistani all-rounder Yasir Arafat was signed by KKR before the beginning of 2009 IPL season.
- However, he could not make his IPL debut. Because before the start of the second season of IPL BCCI had banned Pakistani players from participating in it.
Meet this four Zimbabwean players who got a chance to play IPL.
3. Cameron Delport
- Cameron Delport is a South African all rounder. In 2018, he was bought by Kolkata Knight Riders for 30 lakhs INR.
- Delport is a specialist T20 player, he plays in various T20 leagues all over world, but in 2018 he did not get a chance to play a single match for KKR . In 2019, KKR released him.
- So far, Delport has played 256 T20 matches and scored 5925 runs at a strike rate of 139.51, with 5 centuries and 30 half-centuries.
4. Mitchell Starc
- Australian Cricketer Mitchel Starc is one of the top fast bowler in world cricket. In 2018 Kolkata Knight Riders bought him for 9.40 crores INR.
- In that auction Starc was the most expensive player for KKR.
- But Starc could not participate in that season due to injury. Later he was replaced by Tom Curran.
5. Sanju Samson
- Sanju Samson is the present captain of Rajasthan Royals. In 2013 Sanju made his IPL debut for Rajasthan Royals.
- Earlier he was the part of the Kolkata Knight Riders team that won the IPL trophy in 2012. But he did not get a chance to play in that season. Next year KKR released him.
Finally it can be said that KKR is one of the best teams of IPL. Many good players of world cricket represents KKR. They have given many opportunities to new talents all over the world. Hopefully they will continue this trend in the future.